Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dinner for 8

Our church tried a social experiment a few months ago. The idea was to match up four couples to meet and share a meal once a month for three months.

I thought that sounded like a great idea. Bekah thought I was weird, but signed us up for it.

The strategy used by the church to select the groups is still a mystery, as our group came from different demographics and our homes were not geographically similar. Yet it kinda worked. The fourth couple in our group was a no-show, so our dinner for eight was more like dinner for six.

Tonight was the last night for the three nights.

Disclaimer: Bekah thinks I'm cheating in the use of dinner for eight as my reason to celebrate. She views it more as a commitment. And she reasons that I still would have gone even if I wasn't doing the year of celebration. I reason that I still would have celebrated Mother's Day even if I wasn't doing this project. Besides, if you don't see fellowship as a cause for celebration, there might be something wrong in your brain. Or you're just anti-social. Or I'm over-simplifying things.

While I'll admit the first evening was awkward as it was eating a meal with strangers in a setting reserved for close friends, I'm happy with the end result. One of the couples has a daughter Christian's age and Bekah is ready to start planning some play dates at the park. If nothing else, that alone makes the experiment worth it.

It also gives me a few more familiar faces to greet at church or at the Krock. So I won't complain.

However, I may need to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Day a day late, as I promised the kids I'd make cookies with them, but instead we sent them to bed after we came home. And with good reason, Zu made a mess of herself.

1 comment:

  1. This data can assist you in making sense of what some portion of the day would be best for you to set something up. In a perfect world, you need to set out in toward a treatment when you are genuinely loose, as you will get the best outcomes that way.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete