Friday, April 30, 2010

Almost ready

How do you celebrate something? Do you throw a party? Eat cake and ice cream? Do you buy gifts? That’s how a coworker envisioned my year of celebration: a big party with presents and desserts.

It started last week when she asked a question about Earth Day and I answered to the best of my limited knowledge. Then she wanted to know how I know so much about the day and I said that I have been researching holidays for the past few weeks. Picture the confused expression on her face. That is not a normal field of research for a data analyst. Her next question was predictable: Why?

From there I had to explain my new project. I was going to celebrate something every day for the next year. Her next question caught me off guard: Isn’t that going to be expensive? The inquiry should not have been a surprise. In her mind, she envisioned a daily celebration the same way modern America commemorates any holiday: by spending money. We have big Thanksgiving dinners, Memorial Day camp-outs, and Labor Day picnics. There are anniversary gifts, Christmas gifts, and birthday presents. We buy Easter baskets for our kids and Valentines for our loves. We buy candy for Halloween, Christmas, Valentines Day, and Easter (Easter, in my opinion, has the best sweets). We ignite fireworks on the Fourth of July and New Years Eve. Modern culture has irreversibly and inexplicably entwined holidays with commerce.

My colleague’s query got me thinking about how I intend to celebrate 365 different events. To be honest, I’m still not sure. And I’m starting tomorrow. Will it be expensive? I hope not. I don’t have a budget to throw 365 parties. I think my wife might banish me from ever possessing the debit card if I brought home 365 gifts for my kids (we don’t even have enough storage space for that much swag). And the last I checked, Hallmark doesn’t have greeting cards for Thomas Crapper Day (I’m not making that one up – Google it).

How do you celebrate something? How does the dictionary define the word celebrate?

According to Merriam-Webster to celebrate is…
*to perform (a sacrament or solemn ceremony) publicly and with appropriate rites
*to honor (as a holiday) especially by solemn ceremonies or by refraining from ordinary business
*to mark (as an anniversary) by festivities or other deviation from routine
*to hold up or play up for public notice
*to observe a holiday, perform a religious ceremony, or take part in a festival
*to observe a notable occasion with festivities

To perform ceremonies, festivities… Folks, I might be in trouble. I’m not the most festive person. But there are two phrases that stand out more than any other: refraining from ordinary business – deviation from routine.

I might not know how this experiment will play out. The logistics for a full year of celebration is not fully formed. But there is a healthy lesson inside that dictionary definition. Refrain from ordinary, and deviate from routine. We all need to do that. Change can do you some good.

Meanwhile, I’ll begin my divergence from normal tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. satta king
    play bazaar

    satta king
    play bazaar be shocked by agonizing looking red splotches, knocks, or wounds following a needle therapy treatment. Those splotches aren't typically as agonizing as they look, and they are absolutely ordinary. The equivalent with the dabs and the wounds. They are altogether something that you ought to anticipate. These imprints will leave inside a couple of days, simply show restraint.

    ReplyDelete